Developing Anti aging Formulations
Skin aging is a complex biological process, which results in a decline in biochemical and physiological function.
When developing an anti-aging
formulation, the formulator faces a very complex task. In addition to proper vehicle selection, emulsifying systems
and creating a pleasing and appropriate texture, he has to select the proper active ingredients
and comply with stability, cost constraints and regulatory constraints.
Many biological mechanisms are affected by skin aging and suppliers offer a plethora of ingredients. So how to proceed?
- An approach can be to first define carefully the skin benefits that are desired together with selecting a desired texture.
- Once they are defined, one needs to investigate the most efficient active ingredients to achieve the desired effect through thorough literature search.
Challenges Faced by Cosmetics & Personal Care Industry
- The clinical signs of aging lines and wrinkles
- Loss of skin luminosity and smoothness
- Lack of skin tone homogeneity
- Dark circles
- Loss of firmness
- Deep wrinkles
- Dark spots
- Skin dryness
- Sagging skin
- Loss of elasticity